Saturday, November 15, 2008

Before and After

Friday is a public holiday here in UAE. I go to work on Friday and take Sunday off. Since it is a holiday, I don't have any arrangement to travel. This is what I did to get to work for more than a year on a Friday, before I got my driving license.

Before:

7.15 am: Wake up on yet another Friday morning.
7.50 am: Catch a cab from my appartment to the bus stand.
8.00 am: Board the bus or shared taxi to Dubai.
9.20 am: As we approach Dubai Internet City (my office), I ask the driver to drop me off on the highway.
9.22 am: Either wait for a cab or start walking into the underpass that helps me cross the road. No pedestrian crossing. Have to walk along the road for 20 min.
9.45 am: Login in work.
12. 00 pm. Friday prayers. No cabs at this time around this area. Start walking from office for 2 km to the closest Masjid.
12.35 pm: Reached. Pray.
1.05 pm: Lots of cabs here.
1.10 pm: Back to office.
5.30 pm: Getting ready to head back home. Either some kind soul comes from home to pick me up or step out and walk 1o min, by jumping a wall, and head to the highway.
5.40 pm: Buses don't stop. Ask for lift. Avg waiting time: 1 hour.
6.45 pm: Someone finally stops. Get a ride home.
8.00 pm: Get down at bus stand. Take a cab.
8.15 pm: Back home, finally!

After:


Wake up. Get ready. Step into the car. Drive to work. Work. Step back in to the car. Drive back home. Period.

Blissful! :-)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL!
i am glad!!! :D

Iya said...

narcissism at its best... LOL

mindspace said...

more than 2 hours? ask me.. who is back to long traveling for work after luxury of 1.5 years :(

Sangeeta said...

before was painful... glad you have own ride now:)

Masood said...

Ruhi - Me too! :)

Iya - What is so narcissist about this? ;)

Tara - Yes, but again, it's only for a few weeks! And it looks like your hubby is about to crack a good tenancy contract. So things are bound to improve once you get here.

Sankritya - It was crazy! Glad that it's over now. How are things with you? Dropping by after a long time!

Adz said...

Salaam dude.....lookin gr8 driving......
Congrats once again......
And one more soul gets thru the tortures of the Dubai Driving License charade!!
U think I can trust my life with u behind d wheel??? :P