Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Boiler Room

I first saw "Boiler Room" nearly 3 years back. And it's been on my laptop ever since. If you are a hotshot sales guy, this is the movie for you. I'm not gonna give details about the plot or anything else. Just posting excerpts of my favorites scenes.

In this scene, Jim Young (Ben Affleck), who is the Head of Recruitment, gives a pitch to a room full of new applicants about the job, the firm and why they should work there. So here goes:

Jim Young: OK, here’s the deal. I am not here to waste your time and I certainly hope your not here to waste mine. So, I’m gonna keep this short. Become an employee of this firm and you will make your first million within three years. OK? I’m gonna repeat that. You will make a million dollars within three years of your first day of employment at J T Marlin. There is no question whether or not you will become a millionaire working here. The only question is how many times over.

You think I’m joking? I’m not joking!

I am a millionaire. It’s a weird thing to hear, right? Tell ya, it’s a weird thing to say. I am a fucking millionaire. And guess how old I am? 27. You know what that makes me here….a fucking senior citizen. Lucky for me I happen to be really fucking good at my job or I’d be out of one. You guys are the new blood. You are the future big swinging dicks of this firm.

Anybody tells you money is the root of all evil doesn’t fucking have any.

They say money can’t buy happiness? Look at the fucking smile on my face. Ear to ear, baby!

You want details. Fine. I drive a Ferrari. 355 Cabriolet. What’s up! I have a ridiculous house in the South fork. I have every toy you can possible imagine. And best of all kids, I am liquid. So now you know what’s possible. Let me tell you what’s required. You are required to work your fucking ass off at this firm. We want winners here. Not pikers! A piker walks with a bell. Piker asks how much vacation time you get in the first year. Vacation time? People come and work at this firm for one reason – to become filthy rich. That’s it. We’re not here to make friends. We’re not saving the fucking manatees here. You want vacation time? Go teach third grade.

Your friends are shit. Tell ‘em you made 25 grand last month, there not gonna believe you. Fuck them. FUCK THEM. Parents don’t like the life you lead. Fuck you. See how it feels when you’re making their fucking Lexus payments. Now go home and think about it.

Think about whether or not this is really for you. You decide it isn’t? Listen, its nothing to be embarrassed about. It’s not for everyone. But if you really want this, you call me on Monday and we’ll talk. Just don’t waste my fucking time.

OK, that’s it.

5 comments:

Iya said...

yeah yeah..i have lost count of how many times Girish played this movie on his system..oh i miss the good ol' oracle days...

Iya said...

by the way i have a better name for ur blog - Logical absurdity

Masood said...

Yep, the guy was contagious. I must have seen the movie, or atleast the good scenes, a dozen times by now. And how can you recall the good 'ol oracle days without mentioning TextTwist?!?

And why absurdity?

Madness Unleashed said...

Your posts are getting quite interesting and informative....lot of gyaaan!!! I know where it comes from....but real good stuff man!
Keep it up!

Masood said...

Puja - Where? :)